Sunday, February 8, 2009

39 Days in and Time for an Update

So I'm now on Day 39 of the project and all is going well. I have to confess that I missed a couple days of writing last week, starting on Friday, the 30th. It was a very busy day. Carl and I went to pick up my new car (woo hoo!). Then I went home because I was not feeling well at all. I slept most of the afternoon, then had to get up and get ready to go out to dinner with Bob and Ruth (Carl's former boss and his wife). It was a delightful time, and I was able to sustain my energy until about 10 pm, when I hit the wall. Not literally.

By the time we got home, I was essentially dead to the world. And since I've been writing at night before bed, I hadn't written that day. So I went to bed with the assumption that I'd write 2 plays the next day to catch up.

On Saturday, Jan 31, we celebrated Carl's birthday. I surprised him with a road trip to Philadelphia, which is only a couple hours away. Side note, if you are in the NY area and want a nice, cheap getaway, Philly is the place. Ritz-Carlton room rates are regularly in the mid-100s. Seriously.

So we went to breakfast with Joe and Robbie on Saturday morning, then headed out to Philly. We relaxed in the room for a couple hours, then had dinner, then back to the room. My illness was still in fullish bloom, so no writing for me that night, either. Yikes. I really felt like the project was in danger and that if I didn't catch up now, I'd never do it.

We drove home on Sunday, taking our time--shopping down in Princeton...lunch...blah blah blah. Then Sunday night, I picked back up with the writing. I did write two plays that night--the Friday and Saturday plays. So now I was only 1 day behind.

And that's how it went for the week--I wrote the play that was supposed to be written the day before. Until today.

This morning, I wrote the play for yesterday. And now, I'm ready to write today's play. Which, I think, I'll write later. The question, responses, and song formed my play idea a bit too quickly for my liking, so I think I'll stew on it for a few more hours before I begin writing.

I'm still fascinated at how closely these songs are paralleling with the questions and/or responses. Today's is a prime example. Do you live more in the past, present, or future? The responses lean toward the future. The song is "To Go Home," which is in and of itself future-based.

Some of the question-response-song combinations are difficult, though. Day 30 was a rough combination. Which, oddly, is the day that tripped me up for my one-a-day plan. Maybe that's why I didn't write that day. I don't know.

So, other updates, for those interested:
2 journals complete; started the third on 2/5
No plays typed in yet; will probably start that today

I think that's it. If I think of any more, I'll post.

Oh, and I only know of one person who's actually reading this blog. If you're reading/following, let me hear from you!

3 comments:

  1. I catch up in mega installments. The way I like to watch DVRshows...ya know?
    Jeter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit I haven't read in a bit but that's only because you stopped for a while and the addict in me had to figure out something else to fill my jones. OK, it's my fault, but it feels good to blame it on something else... Write on my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me me me! I'm reading! And I'm so inspired by you...always!

    ReplyDelete