Thursday, February 21, 2013

5 Most Ridiculous Moments in the Oscar Nominated Films: #3

I Will Never Rest, Either



Even with all of the problems with Les Mis, I loved it. I saw it in the theater twice and will likely own it when it’s available. The story and the music get me every time. Even when people fuck it up.

I’m not sure what musical theatre credentials Tom Hooper has, but it seems like he has none. He made a wealth of really odd choices, ranging from interchanging of various lines to swapping the order of some songs and their corresponding story elements. What was left was the weakening of, arguably, one of the most beloved stage characters in Eponine, and a film that didn’t quite live up to its full potential.

But two things really stand out as serious what-the-fuck-was-he-thinking choices. The first is very minor in the grand scheme of things, but necessary to bring up nonetheless, and that is the literal interpretation of what lies in the sewers beneath Paris. 


Do we really need to see this? No. The answer is no.

The second, and most egregiously bad choice Tom Hooper made, is Russell Crowe. There hasn’t been much positive feedback about Crowe as Javert, nor should there be. There was really nothing worth watching.Or listening to, which I think is probably why no videos of his performance are available on YouTube.


I will say this, though, hearing his version of Stars made me want to jump into the sewers with Valjean and Marius.

My personal favorite moment is about 2:30 in...Check it out. It's astonishing.

Safe behind baaahhhhhhs.

I certainly will never rest, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment